The first thing that pops to mind is probably the glitz and glamour, riding in fancy jets around the world. Staying in 5 star hotels. Well, yes he gets to do those things. For me, yes and no. Have I seen the jet? Yes. Been on the jet? Yes. Do I get to fly on the jet? Yes and no. I get to go in the jet if the jet flys ’empty’ this means no passengers. Do I get to go with him? Yes, but I work as a Teacher so my vacation is limited. I’m working on my modeling career that suits our lifestyle.
The lifestyle of a private pilot’s significant other is complete understanding and flexibility. They are basically called up randomly to fly a jet. This is something you have to understand.
I’ve had to reschedule our Malaysia trip 6x because he kept getting called away. This is why you’ll notice the time I went to Desaru Beach, Malaysia.
As the significant other, you have to understand that it’s not their fault that it’s inconvenient. It’s his job. He’s normally 6 weeks on, 3 weeks off. This means that the time that he is 6 weeks “on” he could still be sitting around at home. Which has actually been the case lately.
Pro’s and Cons
- Working time for him is like vacation time for me
- Stay in 5 star hotel
- Flexible lifestyle
- Travel around the world
- If he’s flying somewhere and the jet isn’t empty, then you’re flying commercial.
- Paying for your own commercial ticket – no discountsWhile on working holiday, he could get called away
- Could be gone for weeks at a time
- As the significant other it’s hard to have job stability. So you must be flexible.
This is our very first commercial flight together ever and we’ve been together for 4 years. Crazy eh?
With that being said, I love my life with him and wouldn’t have it any other way.